WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture has been used as part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for over 4000 years. It is believed the body contains meridians. These are pathways through which the energy of life called Qi (“chi”) flows. Disturbances/blockages in the flow are believed to cause problems such as pain and muscle spasm.
Acupuncture works to stimulate appropriate points along the affected meridian(s) in order to improve Qi flow. The points are usually stimulated by the insertion of very fine, sterile needles.
Modern research shows that acupuncture stimulates the brain via nerve endings in skin and muscles. When the brain is stimulated in this way it releases pain relieving chemicals. These can assist our body to repair itself when injured.
Effects should be apparent in 2-3 sessions, but treatment may last up to 6 sessions.
Treatment will be adapted/ discontinued if there is no effect after 3-4 sessions.
Sunderland Physiotherapy Clinic also offer Women’s Health Acupuncture and Cosmetic Acupuncture. Please visit our blog for further information and prices.
- Initial consultation and treatment 45mins- £45*
- Review treatment 30 mins- £33
- A 50% deposit is required at the point of booking in order to secure your appointment.
- We operate a 24 hour cancellation policy. Any clients who cancel within 24 hours or do not attend their appointment will lose their deposit.
- *Please note we see over 16 year olds only*
Gift vouchers are also available. Buy online or call 0191 548 3388